Jewelry Care and Maintenance
IMPORTANT: Most jewelry pieces are made with an alloy containing metals that react with chemicals found in air and produce tarnish; high moisture levels, exposure to sunlight and contaminants such as salt water increase this reaction. Take steps to protect sterling silver by keeping it in airtight packages, use tarnish-resistant products (such as tarnish tabs or strips) that absorb harmful chemicals, and store sterling findings in a cool, dry place. Most tarnish is easily removed by polishing with a mild abrasive or soaking in an anti-tarnish solution.
Avoid Getting Wet
Remove Before Sleep
Avoid Contact with Perfumes
Remove Before Exercising
Clean and Polish with a soft cloth
Store when not in use
DIY Sterling Silver Cleaner
- Aluminum Foil
- Baking Soda
- Dawn dishwashing liquid
- Plastic or glass container with flat bottom
- Line the container with aluminum foil.
- Fill the container with warm water and equal parts baking soda and salt (use at least a teaspoon of each, though depending on the size of your container you may need more.)
- Place the tarnished piece on the aluminum foil and let it sit for at
least 10 minutes.
DIY Copper Cleaner
- Lemon Juice & Salt--Mix together 1 tbs lemon juice and 1 tbs salt. Rub on the components with your fingers or a cloth. Rinse with warm water and dry.
- White Vinegar & Salt--Mix together 1 cup vinegar and 1 tbs salt. For best results, submerge the tarnished copper into the vinegar and salt solution for 5 minutes. Best results with hot water.
- Baking Soda & Salt--Cover the inside of a bowl with aluminum foil. Pour 1 tbsp baking soda and 1 tbsp salt into the bowl. Fill half way with hot water. Mix contents and submerge the jewelry for 10 minutes. Rinse and dry.
- Ketchup and water--Lightly cover the piece with ketchup and let sit for a few minutes. Let the ketchup sit for a few minutes. Rub vigorously with a non-scratch pad or cloth. Wash with water and dry.
Note: Copper will naturally darken; especially with environmental factors. You can always put some Protectaclear spray on it or even some auto wax to help prolong the shine.